District Mission: Students will realize their full potential, appreciate the relevance of
their education, be excited to learn, and be empowered for success!
Board Member Information
Name/Title Phone Term Expires Susan Marolt, Vice-President firstname.lastname@example.org (970) 923-8966 November 2021 Sandra Peirce, Treasurer email@example.com (970) 925-1242 November 2019 Dwayne Romero, President firstname.lastname@example.org (970) 618-8880 November 2021 Sheila Kennedy Wills, Asst. Secretary/Treasurer email@example.com (970) 379-0329 November 2019 Suzy Zimet, Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org (970) 920-9688 November 2021
BoardDocs: Board Meetings (Agendas/Minutes) and Board Policies
The Board Academy for January 16th has been canceled due to weather - it has been rescheduled for Wednesday, January 23rd from 5-6pm in the board room!
The Board Approves Climate & Culture Study
The Board approved a third party to conduct a district-wide Climate and Culture Study, including some additional work with Board of Education members. Prep work will begin in December 2018 but the study will be conducted in January 2019 and include all stakeholders (students, parents, staff, and community members). Its purpose is two part: to benchmark the current climate and culture of the District, and develop a roadmap for improvement going forward.
Have you ever been curious about serving on the Board of Education? Want to learn more about what the Board does?
Every year ASD board members try to attend the National School Association’s annual convention. It’s a wonderful opportunity to see what other districts are doing and consider best practices. Something that inspired us this past year, which we loved, is what we’re calling our “Board Academy”. We see this as a chance to offer exposure and educational opportunities about the Aspen School District and Board of Education and its functions to community members who may have an interest in running for a Board seat. It’s also just a great opportunity for anyone looking to further understand the District and how it operates.
The Academy will consist of six monthly sessions, beginning October, concluding May and excluding December and March. It will be the second Wednesday of the month in the District Boardroom from 5:00pm – 6:00pm. The first session will be Wednesday October 10th.
Here is a list of our curriculum topics:
- Oct 10 - Inner workings of the Aspen School District – Administration and its Buildings
- Nov 14 - School Funding & Finance
- Jan 23 - Board of Education Functions & Coherent Governance
- Feb 13 - Stakeholder Groups of the District: AEF, FAB, DAC, SAC.
- Apr 10 - What to Know about Elections
- May 8 - Attend a Board of Education Meeting
The Board Academy is free and open to the public. Space is limited. Please consider joining us. We look forward to sharing with you. Email your interest in attending to Angela at email@example.com.
Board Goals/Priorities for the 2018-19 School Year:
- Academics - Continue to monitor progress for our Math and Literacy curriculums, with an emphasis on vertical alignment and improving the transitions between individual schools.
- Climate and Culture – The Board believes creating an exemplary climate and culture for teaching and learning in the Aspen School District is an important and never-ending task. The Board will continue the effort to improve our organizational climate throughout the District by modeling, and encouraging others to model, key behaviors that help to build a positive climate such as enhanced and constructive communications, openness and fairness, inclusive decision making processes, and authentic leadership efforts that practice empathy, respect, and compassion when dealing with other District members.
- Employee Housing – Develop an understanding of the number and type of housing units for which the District has a real need. Complete the West Ranch housing expansion.
- Fiscal Planning – Continue long-term financial planning taking into particular consideration the bonds that are to be repaid and the funding measures that sunset over the next five years.
- Communications – Continue to strengthen our public relations and outreach to the Aspen community. Create opportunities for two-way communication with our constituents. Have rotating members post a monthly blog on the BOE webpage.
If you have any questions or problems finding and/or accessing specific Board information please contact Angela Rittenhouse, secretary to the Board of Education, at 970/925-3760 x4007 or firstname.lastname@example.org.