District Mission: Students will realize their full potential, appreciate the relevance of
their education, be excited to learn, and be empowered for success!
Board Member Information
Name/Title Phone Term Expires Susan Marolt, Secretary email@example.com (970) 923-8966 November 2021 Sandra Peirce, Asst. Secretary/Treasurer firstname.lastname@example.org (970) 925-1242 November 2019 Dwayne Romero, Vice-President email@example.com (970) 618-8880 November 2021 Sheila Kennedy Wills, President firstname.lastname@example.org (970) 379-0329 November 2019 Suzy Zimet, Treasurer email@example.com (970) 920-9688 November 2021
BoardDocs: Board Meetings (Agendas/Minutes) and Board Policies
Have you ever been curious about serving on the Board of Education? Want to learn more about what the Board does?
Every year ASD board members try to attend the National School Association’s annual convention. It’s a wonderful opportunity to see what other districts are doing and consider best practices. Something that inspired us this past year, which we loved, is what we’re calling our “Board Academy”. We see this as a chance to offer exposure and educational opportunities about the Aspen School District and Board of Education and its functions to community members who may have an interest in running for a Board seat. It’s also just a great opportunity for anyone looking to further understand the District and how it operates.
The Academy will consist of six monthly sessions, beginning October, concluding May and excluding December and March. It will be the second Wednesday of the month in the District Boardroom from 5:00pm – 6:00pm. The first session will be Wednesday October 10th.
Here is a list of our curriculum topics:
- Inner workings of the Aspen School District – Administration and its Buildings
- School Funding & Finance
- Board of Education Functions & Coherent Governance
- Stakeholder Groups of the District: AEF, FAB, DAC, SAC.
- What to Know about Elections
- Attend a Board of Education Meeting
The Board Academy is free and open to the public. Space is limited. Please consider joining us. We look forward to sharing with you. Email your interest in attending to Angela at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Program by College Outreach: College Colloquium
One of the things which makes the Aspen School District unique is its commitment to sharing strong instructional leadership to students and education providers throughout our valley and the Western Slope of Colorado.
One of the ways we do this is through Aspen School District support of College Outreach. For the past fourteen years, Aspen High College Counseling has not only provided a home, but also an Executive Director, in the form of Dr. Kathy Klug. Continue READING...
Board Goals/Priorities for the 2018-19 School Year:
- Academics - Continue to monitor progress for our Math and Literacy curriculums, with an emphasis on vertical alignment and improving the transitions between individual schools.
- Climate and Culture – The Board believes creating an exemplary climate and culture for teaching and learning in the Aspen School District is an important and never-ending task. The Board will continue the effort to improve our organizational climate throughout the District by modeling, and encouraging others to model, key behaviors that help to build a positive climate such as enhanced and constructive communications, openness and fairness, inclusive decision making processes, and authentic leadership efforts that practice empathy, respect, and compassion when dealing with other District members.
- Employee Housing – Develop an understanding of the number and type of housing units for which the District has a real need. Complete the West Ranch housing expansion.
- Fiscal Planning – Continue long-term financial planning taking into particular consideration the bonds that are to be repaid and the funding measures that sunset over the next five years.
- Communications – Continue to strengthen our public relations and outreach to the Aspen community. Create opportunities for two-way communication with our constituents. Have rotating members post a monthly blog on the BOE webpage.
If you have any questions or problems finding and/or accessing specific Board information please contact Angela Rittenhouse, secretary to the Board of Education, at 970/925-3760 x4007 or email@example.com.