Have you ever been curious about serving on the Board of Education? Want to learn more about what the Board does?
Every year ASD board members try to attend the National School Association’s annual convention. It’s a wonderful opportunity to see what other districts are doing and consider best practices. Something that inspired us this past year, which we loved, is what we’re calling our “Board Academy”. We see this as a chance to offer exposure and educational opportunities about the Aspen School District and Board of Education and its functions to community members who may have an interest in running for a Board seat. It’s also just a great opportunity for anyone looking to further understand the District and how it operates.
The Academy will consist of six monthly sessions, beginning October, concluding May and excluding December and March. It will be the second Wednesday of the month in the district board room from 5:00pm – 6:00pm. The first session will be Wednesday, October 9th.
Here is a list of our curriculum topics:
- Oct 9 - Inner workings of the Aspen School District – Administration and its Buildings
- Nov 13 - School Funding & Finance
- Jan - Board of Education Functions & Coherent Governance
- Feb - Stakeholder Groups of the District: AEF, FAB, DAC, SAC.
- Apr - What to Know about Elections
- May - Attend a Board of Education Meeting
The Board Academy is free and open to the public. Space is limited. Please consider joining us. We look forward to sharing with you. Email your interest in attending to Angela at firstname.lastname@example.org.