School Emergency Resources
The following resources are provided to help families prepare for how to handle school emergencies. While we hope we never have to experience a school emergency, it's important to be prepared in case an emergency situation arises - much like practicing fire drills regularly.
Standard Response Protocal (SRP)
The video links below where created to help you know what to expect and how to react in a school emergency situation.
LOCKOUT / LOCKDOWN Procedures
Our first priority in any emergency situation is for the safety of our students and staff. In the event of an incident at one of our schools, even in the vicinity, law enforcement may recommend the school/s go into a Lockout or Lockdown depending on the nature of the incident. This means that any access to the school/s will be monitored or prohibited and students/staff are required to remain inside the building. During a Lockout or Lockdown it is unlikely that you will be able to contact anyone through the school/s front office. Schools are not allowed to communicate directly with parents during a Lockout or Lockdown situation, but may provide communication following the incident. Communication and updates will come from the district office.
Please know that if there is a serious incident at a school it will most likely effect the entire campus. Law enforcement will be setting up a perimeter around the school/s and will not allow any traffic into the area, either by automobile or on foot. Stay informed by signing up to receive our emergency notifications and/or by going to the district's website at www.aspenk12.net where updates will be posted.
A Lockout condition is a precautionary measure due to a suspected and/or immediate threat or hazard outside of the school building. A Lockout uses the security of the physical facility to act as protection. During a Lockout students and staff are brought back into the building as quickly as possible and all exterior doors are locked. No outside activities are allowed, but classroom activities would continue uninterrupted, as permitted based on circumstances. The main entry for each building is monitored to allow access to those known to the school such as law enforcement and school district employees. Students and staff are required to remain inside the building during a Lockout.
Parent communication when a Lockout occurs will look something like "The (insert school name) is in a Lockout. You will receive an update later today."
A Lockdown condition occurs when there is an immediate threat or hazard inside of a school building. A Lockdown uses enclosed lockable areas within the building to protect students and staff from the threat. During a Lockdown the following procedures will be followed:
- A Lockdown announcement will be given over the school's PA system and/or verbally in the hallways. "Lockdown - locks, lights, out-of-sight."
- Teachers and staff are to close and lock their classroom/office doors, turn off the lights, and get students on the floor and out-of-sight. Simultaneously bring any students directly outside the classroom into the classroom, whether they are in that class or not. Teachers with rooms on the ground floors will also lock windows, when directed to do so.
- Everyone (students and staff) will stay in the locked room they are in from when the Lockdown occurs until it ends.
- Students in open spaces will be directed by staff to the nearest classroom/secure area where they will remain until the Lockdown ends.
- Everyone (students and staff) will remain silent throughout the Lockdown. All cell phones will be turned off or to silent mode. No phone calls are allowed.
- Once the door is locked it can only be unlocked by law enforcement or building/district administration.
- Anyone outside the building should not enter the building, but take cover behind a natural barrier or go to the closest building off campus. Remain calm and quite and move around as little as possible.
- At the conclusion of a Lockdown, you will be released by law enforcement or a building/district administrator and via an announcement over the school's PA system.
In a real emergency, there is no parent communication when a Lockdown occurs. An explanation will be provided as soon as it is safe to do so. All communication with parents and the community will come from the district office.