WELCOME TO POST-SECONDARY COUNSELING AT ASPEN HIGH SCHOOL
The Aspen High School Post-Secondary Counseling Office is dedicated to introducing and educating students and families about options, helping each student create a personalized plan, and guiding them towards realizing their goals for life after high school.
A student and parent post-secondary planning curriculum is offered for each grade level including:
- Evening Parent & Student Presentations for all grade levels
- Individual Student/Parent Meetings with a Post-Secondary Counselor (2+ for Juniors, 4+ for Seniors)
- Post-Secondary Exploration Class for all Juniors
- College Application Case Study Program
- Live Virtual Interactive College Visits specifically for Aspen High School Students
- Rising Senior Check-In (May) & Senior Bootcamp (August)
- Weekly Senior College Application "Workshop Wednesdays"
- Financial Aid Night and FAFSA Completion Workshops
- Resources and services in Spanish
Students are offered seven individual meetings with a post-secondary counselor over the course of their four years at AHS. The goal is to find the right college/post-secondary match for each student and to assist the student in the process of application.
Aspen High School employs two Post-Secondary Counselors. Karen Hawkes works with students with last names beginning A-K, Charlie Laube L-Z. Click here to learn more about the Post-Secondary Counseling team.
A Local Scholarship program is administered which connects Aspen High School seniors to nearly $400,000 in community support from 45 local businesses, organizations, and philanthropists.
Each fall, the Aspen School District hosts the Colorado Western Slope College Fair during which admissions officers from 250 colleges and universities are available to connect with students. Workshops are offered during the College Fair covering topics such as business majors, the arts, student-athletes, highly selective schools, financial aid, and our outstanding Colorado and regional colleges.
Each spring, the community offers a regional GlenX Career Expo that brings high students together with local businesses and business leaders. Students learn about career choices and the next steps to take in order to achieve them. The date for the 2023 Career Expo is Tuesday, March 21st.